Sunday, November 18, 2007

ubble

i looked up my name in the dictionary

zippy
adj. vigorous, energetic, lively; quick, brisk

*ouch* and heres my report... (havent gotten it up till 3 pgs. yet....)

Which is smarter- Mice, Gerbils or Hamsters?

By Zippy G

To test intelligence in rodents, I will check their memory by running my Mice, Gerbils and Hamsters thorough two types of mazes, one that tests their short-term memory and one that tests their long-term memory.

The T-maze tests their long-term memory. I will place a treat in only one side of the “T” I will have them run thorough it and always go to that one particular side. Then after they get comfortable with this, I will place a reward in both sides and see if they still go to the same side or if they are indecisive and not sure which one to take.

To test their short-term memory I will run them thorough the Radial arm maze, first I will place a treat in each “arm” and they will go around eating all the treats, if they visit the same area twice then they have forgotten where they have already gone.

Thanks to

www.ratbehavior.org – Pictures

www.psychology.stir.ac.uk/staff/pdudchenko/documents/dudchenko_2004.pdf - Information on Rodents and Mazes

www.hhmi.org/genesweshare/d150.html - Radial Arm Maze


No comments: